The start of any healthy diet needs to start somewhere, and for some it’s about ditching the junk and buying more fruits and vegetables. However, it’s about more than that, the nutritional value listed on product labels is an important tool in ensuring that the foods that you eat are conducive to a healthy diet.
A simple way to keep the shopping process less complicated is to look for products that do not contain more than 5 ingredients and avoid foods with unfamiliar ingredients. The area of the supermarket that will be of the most benefit to you is the outer refrigerator parts.
Look For Nutrient Density
When shopping, you want to look for foods that have the most nutrients per gram. This refers to the nutritional density and is measured as the ration of nutrients to energy content, also known as joules or kilocalories.
These foods are packed with nutrients that include phytonutrients, minerals, vitamins, fibre, and essential fatty acids. This is in relation to the number of calories contained within the food and will mean that you’ll eat less while still getting all of the nutrients your body needs.
Benefits For Days
Nutrient dense foods offer so many benefits, especially when compared to the refined and overly process foods that contain very little nutritional value. This can include improved mental and physical performance as well as vitality, longevity, and overall health. By choosing to consume nutrient dense foods, you’ll be choosing to get more nutrients per gram. As a result, you’ll eat less which can play a role in weight loss and weight management.
Nutrients play an important part in ensuring that our bodies function properly. This includes the way our immune system functions, how our bodies repair themselves as well as how it gets rid of any toxins.
Pro Tips for Boosting Your Nutrient Intake
- Now that you know the importance of a nutrient dense diet, let’s take a look at a few ways in which you can include nutrient dense foods. This can include:
- Avoiding frozen foods and shopping fresh ingredients wherever possible.
- Nutrient rich plat-based foods should make up at least half of your daily diet, specifically with leafy green vegetables.
- Colourful fruits, vegetables and other plant foods are all packed with nutrients and should be added to your meal wherever possible.
- Keep foods as close to their natural state as possible to ensure that you’re getting all the nutrients possible. This means eating things raw wherever possible and avoid heating produce at temperatures exceeding 115°C.
- Shop local and organic wherever possible, using trusted suppliers.
- Try incorporating organic, raw cold-compressed oils to your salads and other meals
- Look into adding superfoods to your meals as they are packed with tons of nutrients
- Avoid refined carbs and rather shop for wholegrain foods
- Processed foods should be avoided, including prepacked meats, deep fried foods, and ready-made meals
It’s Simple, You Are What You Eat
When it comes to your health and wellbeing, everything you choose to consume pays an important part. So, choose wisely and reap the benefits, just like you can do when you visit onlinecasinogames.co.nz/nzd online.